Summer Time!

Summer Time!

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Advocacy Project: Healthy People 2010/THOMAS


1. Goal: Promote heath for all through a healthy environment. Objective: Reduce pesticide exposures that result in visits to a health care facility. This objective has moved 32% towards the target of 11,398 visits to a healthcare facility due to pesticide exposure.
2. There is no data regarding disparities given in the website.
3. I found an act that has is waiting for committee approval is called the “Safe Chemicals Act of 2010” This states that the producers of chemicals must submit data regarding the safety of the chemicals they produce.

S.3209 : Safe Chemicals Act of 2010 (introduced in the senate)
Title: A bill to amend the Toxic Substances Control Act to ensure that risks from chemicals are adequately understood and managed, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Lautenberg, Frank R. [NJ] (introduced 4/15/2010)  
Cosponsor: None
Latest Major Action: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Environment and Public Works.
Recommended Action: Vote Yes for S.3209 : Safe Chemicals Act of 2010
My Senator: Al Franken

6 comments:

  1. Molly this is a very topical objective considering your blog theme! It's great that it's moving toward it's target so well. I'm curious as to how they're moving towards their goal in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that reducing the pesticide exposure is a great goal! It's great that they have moved 32% toward their goal! I look forward to hearing more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good goal because this has been a major focus in the news lately. That is great it has moved 32% towards the goal considering many of the other goals people mentioned had moved away from the target. I think using some pesticides is just silly because many times they are used so often plants become immune to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear there's been so much progress towards achieving the objective you selected. I think it's really interesting that there's no information provided about the disparities related to this issue- It seems to me that we've been talking a bit in class about disparities related to pesticide and chemical exposure/related hospital visits. I'm interested to learn more about this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Molly, very interesting idea/bill. I had no idea that so many people are affected or exposed to pesticides. It's great to see that there is a new bill in place that regulates what data and chemicals are harmful to us in the products that they use. It's also nice to see that it's moved 32% already in obtaining its target mark. Nice job and post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Molly, this is a great idea/topic. I am glad that it is moving towards the goal. I was pleasingly surprised at all of the bills I found regarding all of these environmental issues. I can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete