Summer Time!

Summer Time!

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Reflection: Second Quarter

Oh how interesting the past 4 weeks have been,
Through the various documentaries we have watched in class I have come close to ralphing, I have been scared out of my GMO-consuming pants, and have taken to shunning my family members who choose to drink non-organic milk. Dr.V has beat us at our own game! She has taken the class from the pre-contemplative stage to the contemplative stage and-- speaking for my-self-- into the preparation and action stage of behavior change! I have learned that consuming non-organic animal products causes damage to the environment, that soy and corn have become the most-consumed GMOs in America if not the world, and that a precedence was set when the supreme court allowed the patenting of life. I have also learned that there are places in America calld "cancer ally". These are places that rare diseases and cancers are common among people in the community.

It is nigh impossible to consume any food product in our country that has not been kissed by Genetic Modification. When the supreme court ruled that seed companies could patent seeds they (hopefully unwittingly) decided that life forms could be claimed as intellectual property. This has changed our agriculture because now, humans are altering/preventing what Darwin discovered. Only a few select types of crops are now being grown because the seeds are said to be more resilient to the elements. However, since there are only a few types of crops, one element can completely wipe out a crop. Take insects for example, if a worm becomes immune to the pesticide used on the corn crops, the worm is harder to eradicate since all the worms consume only that crop. The implications are horrifying.

We also learned that the rates of cancer in the area referred to as "cancer ally" are staggeringly high. Not only that but the rare cancers that are cropping up (no pun intended) are harder to treat and cost more than many families can afford. The cancer victims are stuck between a rock and a hard place because they cannot afford to move but no-one can afford to live, or die, there.

Inspired by "unnatural causes" I watched PBS coverage of a public heath fair that discussed a very important issue: If we regulate pharmaceuticals, why do we not regulate chemicals?" The woman talking went on to say that there are many safe alternatives to chemicals we use on a daily bases but due to lack of support and high cost, very few decision makers are able to make legislative changes. I thought this was so interesting and the fact that it was on public access made my smile-- at least word is getting out!

As far as blogging goes I learned how to make my own graphical header for my blog. I also learned that once I fell behing in blogging it was really hard to catch up again. That made me apreciate people who blog daily!

Overall, I have truly been able to take how my consumerism affects the world around me and now I take time to think about what food I buy, where I get my clothes and what chemicals are going into products. I have learned so much and hope to keep on learning!

4 comments:

  1. I agree that this class has impacted us in ways that we never thought possible. I am glad that you are as excited about learning about these environmental concerns as I am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly it's crazy isn't it how much our eyes have been opened just in a matter of a couple of months! I too have learned a ton of valuable information about the environment that I was previously oblivious to. I also take time to stop and think what I'm buying and doing in regards to the world around us. I couldn't agree with you more that it's absolutely saddening to see a lot of these people who live in cancer alleys contract all these different types of cancers and health problems. It's like the government knows but doesn't care. Not only is the health of these people a concern but their overall living location. Most of them can't afford to up and move on a dime let alone afford medical costs because of the factories that are polluting the area. It's down right sad and absurd in my mind. Finally, I too hope to keep learning vital information regarding the environment around us. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't is crazy how many chemicals we put into the environment? It is enough to make you want to puke. We sit here and let companies put toxins and pollutants into the air and expect to not have consequences? Look at "cancer ally", is this a place anyone would want to live? No, but these people do not have a choice . What about their rights? It is amazing how much we have all learned so far about the environment. I think about how most of us have grown up in United States and did not know about many of these issues until we were 20, 21, 22, 23, and so on. This should be a topic discussed in all sorts of settings from high school to college to community courses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molly,
    I know what you mean, we've been learning so much! I know how much of a difference it's been making for you from our various chats about spending hundreds of dollars on organic food at the Co-Op! Your post summed up the last three weeks very well. I'm exciting to have you in my blog group now and look forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete