Summer Time!

Summer Time!

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Eye Opener: Junk On The Brain


Part I:

Antique- Old and collectible, prized because of its rarity, condition, or historical significance.
Junking- Taking unwanted items and using them in new ways or refinishing items to use the way they were intended.
Flea Market- a bizarre where second hand items are sold or bartered for.
Thrift Shop- Shop that sells used goods, typically clothes, at low prices.
Upcycling- taking useless products and making them into new materials.
Resale shops- shops that buy items outright from individual owners.

Part II:

Antiquing, junking upcycling ect... are environmentally friendly because the items being purchased are already made. meaning that there are very few environmental consequences in purchasing something that will be reused.

As far as resale shops go I typically go to Plato's closet because they are geared more towards young females and I can usually find some pretty sweet deals there.
Their location and contact info:
5115 Burning Tree Road
Duluth, MN 55811
(218) 733-9455


From my experience the antique stores up here leave much t be desired but I found a few interesting things for m y apartment at Old Town Antiques:
102 East Superior Street
Duluth, MN 55802-2116
(218) 722-5426

I heard that there was a flea market and car show this summer at Lake Superior College. Its the second Sunday in August. I don't know If i would go to a flea market just because I feel pressured to buy things in those kinds of settings.
2101 Trinity Rd, 2 mi S of Miller Hill Mall. 
218.722.8533 or 218.722.4855
E-Mail:
stude.one@usfamily.net  


I think that one of the best thrift store to look for second hand furniture at is Goodwill. I think they have a decent selection and good prices.
Goodwill Industries Vocational Enterprises, Inc.
700 Garfield Avenue
Duluth, MN 55802

218-722-3050

I don't know of any places in Duluth that focus specifically on upcycling but I was toying with the idea of taking a compilation of old curtains my mom has and pillows from Savers and making them into new decorative pillows for my apartment.
Savers
1740 Mall Drive

Duluth, MN 55811
Any of the above places are good for junking but I really like

Ok so for the three projects that I find cool:

I think this table is awesome! it's made out of a pallet but looks really nice, and its functional. I don't want to junk just for the sake of junking. I want to make or get something that is functional and serves a purpose.

This um... flower hanger has inspired me. I love plants and i need to add height to my apartment. Hanging something like this would add color, life and style to my apartment.

I love this piece because of the almost Gothic femininity it exudes. although I would probably not have something like this in a small apartment, It would be great to have as a decorative piece in a house.

4 comments:

  1. I really love the last project you showed with the mannequin. It is very artsy and not cheesy. Definitely something for a house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Plato's Closet too! They have great clothes for young women to buy at low prices. I also like how they buy clothes. I bring clothes there all the time. If I am not going to wear them I may as well give them to someone who will. I also love the flower hanger idea. I am very girly so anything to do with flowers, candles, or picture frames catches my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like the mannequin piece that you chose. It is very unique and would add as a great vintage decoration to a house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molly, I've also noticed that Salvation Army has a pretty good selection of furniture as well in case you were looking for something particular. I like the table/pallet idea a lot. I will actually need a coffee table pretty soon and what better way to get one other than making one on my own by junking it. You found some pretty cool ideas and I can't wait to see what people come up with for their projects. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete