Summer Time!

Summer Time!

Friday, October 1, 2010

Share and Voice







I chose to do my "Share and Voice" about something that has been sitting at the back of my mind for the past six months or so. I was talking with a family friend who also happens to be a dentist and the subject of fluoride in drinking water came up, naturally there was some debate but after a matter of moments the subject was changed. This discussion was brought up again later in the week when Dr. V mentioned that Fluoride in water may not be as beneficial as some experts say. I figured now would be a great time to quench my curiosity.

The results of my research were dull, to be honest. Even though many studies have shown that the compound causes no damaging effects, there are as many studies that indicate contradictory evidence. The most interesting article I found discusses that fluoride can lead to lower IQ's and even have detrimental results when it comes to tooth decay.  

Basically, I found information in favor of continuing the use of fluoride and other info suggesting it is a deadly substance worth removing from drinking water. Like many other medical controversies, only time will tell if the cure outweighs the side effects.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting topic to discuss because it is so controversial. It is unfortunate you were not able to find set facts on the topic but like every other topic in the world there are always pros and cons. I am going to be doing a training on applying a fluoride paste to young kids teeth because of the bad dental care many lower income children get so I could possibly raise a few questions with the dentists or dental assistants I will be working with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly I love the style of your blogs they are very reader friendly and it makes you seem like a very down to earth person and I think that is a great quality to have. Some of the information that you found is very interesting and kind of scary to think that something as common as fluoride can have such effects. It is something that would be good to look into further.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting post. Like JD I grew up on well water and didn't find anything wrong with it and non-hazardous in my mind. It's crazy that fluoride can possibly cause lower IQ's. I was totally unaware of all this. Good post.

    ReplyDelete