Summer Time!

Summer Time!

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Read 'N' Seed

The book I have chosen is titled: Smashed: Story of Drunken Girlhood. This is a book about a young woman who discovers the wonders of drinking at the age of 14 and chronicles her adventures and mishaps related to and caused by binge drinking. Click here to read a synopses of this book.

I was thrilled to see this book on the reading list because it was on my own personal summer reading list, but I became too engrossed with "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" books that I wasn't able to read Smashed. After reading through the first few pages of the book I came to the (somewhat painful) realization that I share many commonalities with the author the most significant being : the love of drinking. I saw this book as a way to better relate to the fact that there are many people, especially women out there like Koren Zailckas and myself, and a way to learn from someones life experiences.  

The book is 339 pages in all and I have divided the book into 4 sections. The first section being the first four chapters of the book titled Initiation, followed by the next 2 chapters called The Usual followed followed by the next three chapters named Excess and ending with the last 4 chapters titled Abuse. It's nice that the author has already split the book up into four sections so I decided to simply follow the sections how she divided them.

4 comments:

  1. The book Smashed sounds like it would fit a lot of young girl's lives and it is especially helpful that you are able to relate to it and maybe get some good information from the author. Binge drinking is so common these days that I feel like most people should be reading this book. I am excited to follow along on your journey while reading this because it sounds like a book I may be interested in reading later on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to start out by saying that this is an AWESOME book! I think that you will really enjoy it. its great that you want to relate it to some of your own life's experiences. I agree with Alicia when she says it would fit a lot of young girls lifes. Im excite to see your reactions to it throughout the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a really interesting book and you seem to have some passion/correlation with it. I can't wait to hear some insight from you regarding this book. This book probably relates very well to a lot of young girls lives. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds very interesting and informative and you seem to have a passion and correlation to it based on your mention of similar experiences. I look forward to hearing more from you from this book. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete