Summer Time!

Summer Time!

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Read 'N' Seed 3: Second Quarter of "Smashed: The Story of Drunken Girlhood"


For the second quarter of this book I read the following two chapters that are contained in pages 109-156. In reading this book I have come to to discover that I identify with Zailckas. When she writes "Amstel Light is my upper and my downer, it is my euphoric bump, my sweet nod into vagueness, the hallucinogenic that contorts my world into one that's worth living in." The almost endearing way she refers to beer is so familiar to me (and I fear so many other girls) that it is quite alarming.

Some main points that are covered in this chapter are:

  • Greek Life in college
  • Relationships
  • Coping with stress by using alcohol 
Before reading this book I had my own views on Greek life, and they haven't changed much after reading this section. Zailckas writes about being initiated into her sorority and the many hazings she had to undergo. Zailckas' generation was in the midst of ending the hazing phase. Colleges were starting to crack down and using alcohol was absolutely forbidden to use as enticement to join that sorority. However, these rules were broken, like so many others, and Zailckas made her decision based on the promise of wild parties. She writes that she found a common bond that all the girls in that house shared: the love of liquor.

Like so many timid freshman Zailckas was intimidated and exhilarated by the thought of dating but without liquor she felt powerless. She writes that her drinking becomes like a "fetish", and when her focus was not on a man, she was fully devoted to drinking. In the preface to the book Zailckas states that she felt as though she woke up one day and realized that she did not have any longstanding friendships and that this was due to her alcohol abuse. Zailckas became so used to functioning while drunk to cope with the stress of dating and making true friends that being sober while doing these activities seemed utterly impossible to her.

Like I mentioned before I can identify with the author of this book and I know that there are many other females like her who have used alcohol as a crutch and it can become a huge issue when we have a major part of society that has difficulty making and maintaining relationships. Look at the divorce rate in our country! The issue of alcohol abuse has huge and damaging implications for our country.   

3 comments:

  1. Wow it really sounds like Zailckas was living a sad and lonely life. After reading these posts I feel really bad for her. It seems like she's stuck in a rut and doesn't know what to do but drink alcohol. I agree with you that alcohol is a major problem in our society and some people can't cope without it, which is truly sad. I can also relate with your struggles because I too have alcohol affecting my life through certain family members. More work needs to be done done in the fight against alcohol abuse. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is very true. I bet many female college students have used alcohol as a way to meet people, find guys, fight stress, feel good, or to get that "buzz". Drinking has become such a common way to avoid problems or homework. I mean come on how many professors or teachers use happy hour or drinking as examples. In the case of sororities or fraternities those rules of not using alcohol are definitely dismissed. Have you ever heard of Frat row in Minneapolis? They have some of the wildest parties and nothing is done to stop them? Drinking has became the norm for most college campuses and students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly I couldn't agree more. I too have used alcohol to try to socialize and meet people particularly freshmen year. It seems to be such a norm now days to drink, not only drink but to get wasted. Its so crazy to think too how many intimate relationships are based on alcohol!

    ReplyDelete