Summer Time!

Summer Time!

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Share and Voice: Composting


Carly and I were talking about composting the other day. I was curious about starting my own compost because I live in an apartment building, so I took to the net for some tips.

Here's What I Found:

  • When beginning to compost, its best to start in the spring so that the pile can heat up.
  • A good Carbon to Nitrogen ration is important or the compost could get stinky.
  • A good size compost is about 3x3x3 because it is manageable to turn and mix.
  • There are about a bazillion types of composts a person can buy, build or assemble depending on your needs.
  • Don't put animal products in there though! Carly taught me that one ;)
  • One UMD professor gives his compost as gifts! What a great idea!
So after looking through all this good stuff about composts I have decided to order a kitchen compost. There are many different places to order from. I'm in the process of deciding between a "high tech" one from Williams Sonoma or a more "interactive" version from target. Ill have to talk to some people and see what they suggest! 

5 comments:

  1. OOOO this is such a great post. Composting scares me sometimes and Carly is an environmental superhero. I feel like after hearing your efforts, I will definitely give composting a second chance. Thanks for all the links!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Carly has impacted so many of us to want to start a compost! Thanks for all the informative links and good luck with your compost!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great idea. Not only will this help the environment but if anyone is like my house, it will save on space in your garbage can. Every week we have more than enough food in our garbage to start several composts. I will definitely be getting more information from you and Carly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molly, what a great idea! It's great to see that this class and others are impacting us to make better decisions regarding the environment. You are really taking the initiative into becoming more eco-friendly, way to go. I would consider composting but we have a terrible skunk problem at my apt. so that hinders things quite a bit. Awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, go Molly! Composts totally ROCK! It gives me a really awkward hobby to talk about and an even better transition into talking about my awkward squirrel obsession. Me and Call definitely have a great time with that compost.
    PS. I love all of you and your encouragement of my compost, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete