Summer Time!

Summer Time!

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Share and Voice: Personal Project

My birthday is coming up in about a month and my mom being the planner that she is, asked what I wanted for my birthday (and Christmas for that matter). After sending my mom the two texts of all the really expensive thing that I ABSOLUTLY NEED for my birthday I realized that most of the things I was asking for, come in packages inside of packages, that require paper wrappings and receipts printed not to mention gift receipts-- the list goes on and on. Anyway I told my mom that for my birthday and Christmas all I wanted was for her to buy her groceries on that day at the local co-op and to support local farmers. She finally agreed after a minor hissy fit and adding a few jabs about how liberal I have become. After I told my mom about my idea I began to tell the rest of my family and they are really proud of me-- although my dad is still in shock that I no longer want the headboard I have been asking for for the past three years. It is a great feeling and I would encourage anyone and everyone to try it!

3 comments:

  1. Molly this is so awesome and thoughtful of you. Its really a great way to get other people involved by being so self less. My parents are the same way, they find it hard to step out of their comfort levels and eat things that are both healthy for them and the environment. I am for sure going to try this and maybe get them a gift card there for christmas. Awesome Idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is so awesome Molly. That is very inspiring that you put others and the environment before yourself for your own birthday and Christmas. This is such a great idea though. I mean you would have had to still buy groceries anyways so it makes sense that instead of you spending your money, you make a gift out of it. I also plan to inform my family and friends about the topics we have been covering in Environmental Health because they need to be aware just like everyone else! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, Molly your Mom sounds like my Dad. He jabs at me like that sometimes as well about being Liberal. It's really cool that you got your Mom to buy and support local places. It sounds like this class is really impacting your decisions to be more environmentally friendly, which is really awesome! Nice post.

    ReplyDelete