Summer Time!

Summer Time!

Monday, October 25, 2010

Eye Opener: Environmental Working Group

Aww dang! Foiled again! I thought I was doing something good for my lashes when I invested in Neutrogena's Healthy Volume Mascara. I mean with a name like that-- what could be wrong?! Well I guess there is a chemical in the mascara that has been shown in some studies to cause cancer. The website does not claim that the product itself causes cancer but the chemical in the product has the potential to cause cancer, allergies, irritations and a few other things. So although this is yet again a disappointing discovery I now know that products may not be as beneficial as their labels lead one to believe.   

3 comments:

  1. I never realized so many of our beauty essentials have such bad ingredients. I could only imagine how many toxins us girls put into our bodies compared to boys. Everything we use seems to have a bad effect on the environment or our health somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes were all so quick to buy things that say "Healthy or Natural" but it seems that these words dont even really mean what we think that they should. Its nice that we are able to see what ingredients are actually in our products, because using something that is known to cause cancer is SCARY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly, I couldn't agree with you more that we are all victims to advertising and clever marketing schemes. Many of these companies want us to believe that their products are safe and healthy for us when in fact many of these products contain potential harmful chemicals that lead to health ailments. I thought that my product (Listerine) was overall safe to use but after reading the ingredients some of them are potentially hazardous and could potentially cause cancer. It's just crazy what actually goes in some of these products that we all use. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete